Version 0.5.2 released
This release was not originally planned, but because there was a problem with transcoding MKV files with AAC audio I decided to make this patch release. It fixes few more defects as well and I also put in some new features to make it worth upgrading :-)
There is now a much tighter intergation with Samsung C/D series devices - bookmarks (resume) should now work more reliably, subtitles menu is now available and selecting Video/Audio/Images in the TV's menu will take you straight to the appropriate Serviio's browsing category (this is not supported on BD players).
There is also added support for video thumbnails on XBox 360 - it just makes it so much nicer browsing experience.
Now I can finally focus on 0.6, which will bring online content streaming.
As always, thanks to the beta testers who participated on this release and to translation authors.
Version 0.5.1 released
Hi all Serviio fans. The latest greatest 0.5.1 is now out and it means you can enjoy even more media formats on your telly.
This release was mainly focused around audio files transcoding, so you should now be able to play your FLAC, OGG, m4a files without losing quality. Audio transcoding has been set up with the most common profiles, please contribute your settings on the forum.
Other improvements in this release include more settings to transcoding configuration, 'resume playback' functionality for Samsung C series devices and quite a few bug fixes. The whole list is here: Release Notes - 0.5.1
My thanks go, as always, to the betatesters who took part in this release, people who contributed translations and the guys who help me help you on the forums. Keep it up!
Version 0.5 released
I'm happy to announce that Serviio 0.5 is ready for consumption. This one was quite a big update for me and I hope you guys will find it useful.
One of the main updates is a completely new renderer profile management. It will enable you to select a profile for each of your devices independently. We have done some work in terms of automatic profile detection and it should work for most existing profiles. For the other devices, please let us know on the forum.
Another interesting feature is retrieving descriptive metadata (e.g. title, author, series name, etc) for video files from Swisscenter and XBMC files. Those are alternatives to the current online metadata extractor and would enable you to completely manage your metadata (as those tools have metadata editing capabilities, alternative online searches, etc). The current online metadata search can now retrieve data in your preferred language (if it exists).
One of the most sought after features recently has been the possibility to edit browsing menu on the device. This is now included in the application and should be flexible enough to meet the needs of most of you.
The are a lot more in this release (see Release Notes - 0.5), so go ahead and give it a go. I have already some ideas for 0.5.1 (audio transcoding being the most important) and then, 0.6 should be all about the online streaming.
I have to give my massive thanks to all the beta testers and people who contributed to translating the app - it's very much appreciated.
100k downloads hit
Yes, that's right. Serviio media server has now been downloaded 100 000 times. That's pretty unbelievable, how many DLNA geeks got on these pages. Thanks to all the users who are actively proposing new features to push this product in the way you guys want.
Keep it up, let's go for a million :-D
Version 0.4.1 released
I'm glad to announce that a new version of Serviio is ready for download. This release brings mainly bugfixes and performance enhancements - you should really notice that browsing for media is now much faster. Except that there is more on the list, notably subtitles support for LG bluray players.
Big thanks goes again to my beta testers - keep it up guys.
Head over to the downloads page and give it a go. Looking forward to your feedback at the forum.
Version 0.4.2 released
I'm happy to announce that a new minor release of Serviio is out. This one is mostly focused on bug fixing, although there are a few new features as well. Full release notes are here.
Most notably, I dumped Corba and the server now talks with the console using RESTful web services. It should enable porting Serviio to embedded systems, NASes, etc. that don't have a full desktop Java available. For those using the console remotely, please note the configuration changed a bit.
Another feature that a lot of people were asking for is subtitle support for Samsung C series devices - thanks to kairoh for helping me out. There are also new profiles for Sony Bravias and Sony BDP players.
Hope you'll be having fun with this new version and as always, big thanks to all the beta testers.
See you at the forum.
Version 0.4 released
After more time than I hope 0.4 is finally out. A big thanks goes to all the beta testers who participated in the testing program - hopefully the software will be usable :-)
The big new feature in this version is real time transcoding. I hope you guys will be creative and supply the community with your working transcoding configurations for various devices. Except transcoding, there are a few other features and bug fixes that made it into this release.
Head to the download page and give it a try.
PS: If you reinstall over a previous version the library will be cleared, so that you might have to wait for it to index all your files again.